Monday, March 1, 2010

Craft Studio Renovation

So I've decided to renovate my craft studio and make it functional once again. At the current time it's being used as a storage room, and it's not so pretty. It's actually a bit disorganized and just not appealing to the eyes. I've decided that 2010 is a time for change. I'm going to go through all of my old displays, packaging materials, fixtures, furniture, and everything else being stored in my studio and a few other rooms in the house and get rid of things that are no longer functional for me at this time.

For inspiration I searched for pics of other craft studios and I must say I was quite impressed with the looks of what I found. Some even took the trash to treasure approach literally and reconditioned some old withered pieces into practical and functional storage and displays. I'm not at the point in my life where I want to go out and spend a ton of money redoing my studio so the trash to treasure idea is working in my favor.

A few ideas I picked up from other sites were old cassette tape holders used for stamps and ink pads, a piece of sheet metal and some trim made a magnet board, an old window with 3 panes removed and replaced with corkboard made into a bulletin board. There's other ideas as well and I acutally think I might use a lil of them all, putting my own twist on things of course. I even had the pleasure of coming across decorated soup cans on pegboard to hold different writing utencils and small tools. It's a cute functional and simple idea that recycles as well as saves money versus buying commercial displays that just blend in and cost ALOT of money.

I'll get some pics up as I am able to take them. I'm using materials and displays left over from when I had my lil shop in the amish market. I have slat board, pegboard, pegs, gondolas, and some other items. I can't wait! I hope to be able to fit multiple work stations into my studio. Some of these will be jewelry making, scrapbooking, repairs, completed orders, ceramics, sewing, photography, gift basket making, artwork, and general crafts.

I also need ALOT of storage options for everything I have including items already made ready for sale. I'm going to see what I have available for use now and then make a wishlist of things to buy once I'm ready to go shopping. My wishlist grows every day of course. I'm not sure how much will be bought versus made though. I do plan on making paper trays if there's not enough space to have plastic storage bins for paper and small supplies.

I have alot of ideas to implement and not alot of space to do it in but I always appreciate a good challenge and this is definately going to be a work in progress for quite some time. I do wish the ceiling was higher but I'm just glad I have a space I'll be able to escape to where I won't be sidetreacked so easily and can actually get much more done in the short amount of time I have to work on things sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment